Tuesday 13 September 2011

The British Pub in Kichijoji & More 飲み放題

I shall first of all point out that I am NOT the type of person who moves to a foreign country simply to spend all my time mingling with English people in British pubs!!  I'd discovered the existance of this British pub in nearby Kichijoji from Miles, a Leeds student who studied at ICU a couple of years ago, and decided that I wouldn't mind having a look in, and see how they interpret our culture!

So yes, the other night, Melissa and I went for a drink there.  Many other people were invited but couldn't make it in the end, tsch.  As we walked in, Trash by Suede came on the stereo, and I liked it already.  Babyshambles and Pulp also featured on the stereo during our visit, in amongst some less tasteful and appropriate music.  Blink 182 are not welcome in such an establishment.

  
Remember what I said about my indoor photography abilities?

The interior wasn't too bad!  Obviously it was a little exaggerated and stereotyped, but the general atmosphere was there.  The furniture was varnished oak like back home, and it was nicely dingy.  They even had the Stoke-Liverpool match ont' telleh.

We went during happy hour, but unfortunately there was no lager on the happy hour menu, just a choice of cocktails.  It was very strange to see everyone in the British pub sat sipping bright pink and green cocktails.  Still, I'm not going to complain about the choice of drinks when it was £2 for a double Gin & Tonic.

There was a food menu with lots of traditional and contemporary British and European dishes, but I'd decided before I'd even stepped through the door that I'd be going for good old Fish and Chips.  Being not only from Britain, but specifically from Yorkshire, their ability to do a good plate of Fish and Chips was the deal breaker as to whether I'd be returning or not; the true test of their ability to replicate a crucial bit of Blighty.  Luckily, they certainly delivered!  Whilst not precisely what I'm used to, it was pretty damn close, and much more authentic than what I'd heard from people's anecdotes. 


Mmm the fish.  I'm not sure whether it was cod, or haddock, or whatever, but it really hit the spot.  The chips were delicious, too.  I liked the fact it was served in faux-newspaper, too; so authentic that we don't even do that in the UK any more.  Well I never got ink poisoning from when my Fish and Chips used to get wrapped up in The Yorkshire Post.

So a very good experience, all in all!  I'd give it a good solid 7/10!  Plus points for the decor, Fish and Chips, some good music, cheap drinks (the food wasn't too expensive, either) and the football being on.  Minus points for the lack of beer on the happy hour menu, and some pretty crap songs in between the brilliant ones.

Melissa had to go quite soon after we ate, so I headed back to Koganei, where I then met Ayaka, and we went for a 飲み放題 (nomihoudai, if you don't know what that means then tut tut you haven't been reading my blog posts) at a nearby 居酒屋, or izakaya, a traditional Japanese pub.  


I'll write a proper blog post about 居酒屋 at some point.  They're a great, authentically Japanese experience (and a good opportunity for western goldfish to abuse the all-you-can-drink offer).  You have to take your shoes off at the door and everything!

On a side-note, as we walked to the izakaya, we passed a rather interesting looking bar, with an equally interesting slogan (/health advice label?!).


I wonder how long a sign like that would last in the UK...

James

No comments:

Post a Comment