Wednesday 7 September 2011

ICU Course Registration

Today I cycled into university to register for the modules which I'll take this term.  Just before leaving the house this morning I got a call from Ayaka, an ICU student who was in Leeds last year on her year abroad, saying that she and her boyfriend Shunyo would be getting to the university to register for their courses at about the same time as me and that we should meet up.  I'm so glad we did!  The whole registration procedure seemed a bit pointlessly overcomplicated, but with their help I got there in the end!  I picked Japanese level 3, and then my other module was English as an International Language, which isn't, as some people thought, me taking the easy option of 'learning English'; that would be English as a Foreign Language.  Tsch.  It's more of a linguistic/anthropological course than just learning a language.

After registering on the campus computers for those courses, I had to print off a form to take to my advisor, who has the same role as a personal tutor, to approve of my selection and sign it, before taking the form to another room to make the whole thing official!  

By 12 o'clock we were all finished, so the three of us went off to an Italian restaurant nearby for lunch.  Shunyo had オムライス, or omrice, which is an omelette made with fried rice, whilst Ayaka had spaghetti and seafood bolognese, and I had a pizza.  It was delicious and really did taste authentically Italian!


Tomorrow I start my first day at ICU!  I have two periods of Japanese 3, from 10:10 until 12:40!

James

No comments:

Post a Comment