Tuesday 6 September 2011

Skyping Home

If there's one thing I had to say made this trip much easier, it's Skype.  I feel really connected with my parents and Ayu, even at such a long distance.  I suppose I'm lucky to have this technology available; I really don't know what I would have done if I had come to Japan for a year twenty or even ten years ago!

After Skype conversations, which are generally happening at least once a day with Ayu, and quite often with Mum as well, I always feel really happy and upbeat, so I definitely recommend it to anyone who's abroad for a long time and is feeling a bit down or homesick; it really does put you right!  I was worried before coming to Japan that Skyping a lot would remind me of the things and people I'm missing, and make me really homesick, but it does the opposite.  It instead reminds me that the world really isn't a big place, and the people I care about are just a couple of clicks away.

It's also been nice to Skype with people from Leeds at other universities in Japan, so we can compare notes and stuff!  I'd like to be able to find more time to Skype other friends back in England, and once everything has settled down here I promise to make time!  So sorry to anyone who feels neglected or forgotten, I'm not neglecting you and I haven't forgotten about you!

James

No comments:

Post a Comment