Saturday 13 August 2011

My Last pre-Japan Trip into Leeds?

What a lovely day I've had!

Oh, before I start, I should talk about the 'business' side of this week's events!  I sent off my application form for the Takase Scholarship, fingers crossed now!  Like I said before, I really, really hope I get it!  I shall just have to wait and see!  If you can read Japanese, there's a list of the nationalities of those who've already been given the scholarship in previous years here.  It's only been given to 11 British people since 1995 - ahhh!

Okay, that's the business side of things sorted!  So today I went into Leeds with Ayu to buy some clothes and stuff before Japan!  We both got in at 9 o'clock, and shopping when it was really quiet in town was such a nicer experience than normal!  My best haul was in Pop Boutique; I got some really nice jeans and a blue check shirt; I love them!  I also got some stuff from Lush; a shampoo bar which is quite small but apparently lasts as long as 3 biggish bottles of shampoo - got to remember my 23kg baggage allowance!  Besides that I got this 'Dirty' scent and some shaving stuff.  

Whilst browsing through Poundworld (or Poundland, I can never differentiate, but then again I suppose the basic concept is the same) I stumbled upon something rather funny.  I did tweet about this earlier, but I can't help putting it on here as well.  Poundworld (/Poundland!) were marketing a cologne at a young, laddish, geezer-y sort of demographic by the looks of it, but they'd made such a glaring blooper in naming it!


Now I have nothing against 'nightclubs for men', but I'm guessing that a lot of the people they were targeting this product at probably do. 

Besides the clothes and Lush stuff I bought today, I also bought some Adidas Samba Supers online last night; hopefully I can get back into playing football in Japan!  I've neglected it a bit whilst at university.  Besides, they don't look too shabby when worn off the pitch, either ;)  I got an ethernet cable too, as Big Rose 21 (the guest house I'm living in, in case I hadn't mentioned that already) provides ethernet ports in every room for free internet, but you have to bring your own cable.  I got a 5 metre one so I don't have to sit at my desk every time I use the computer!  Sorry if you went on that guest house link and had a seizure by the way, some of the website's pretty mad!  I also got my phone unlocked, so that I can hopefully use a Japanese SIM card in it instead of having to buy a new phone when I get to Japan (I've heard stuff about UK/European phones not working in Japan because of their whole setup, but I checked for the HTC HD2 and apparently they do work).  Unfortunately however, when my phone got unlocked, it was also factory reset at the same time, so I've lost all my apps, contacts, texts, settings, etc.  Ho hum.

When we were on the bus back to Otley after shopping, we were passed in the opposite direction by about 10 or so riot vans heading into Leeds with the blues and twos going.  I hope all this ridiculous riot rubbish (wow, unintentional alliteration) isn't spreading up here.  I had a look at the news, but nothing too serious seems to have gone on in Leeds.

Then this evening Ayu and I had a lovely meal at Pizza Express in Ilkley.  I got a voucher online (get it here, very good value!), where you buy a main course, and get another one for just 40p!  It's only on until the end of this week though, so be quick!  We shared a couple of pizzas for our main, and then shared a pudding of pistachio and strawberry ice cream, and sweet doughballs with warm Nutella. Mmmmmm.



A lovely day, all in all!  Tomorrow I'm going to visit my cousins near York, for an 11th birthday party barbecue!  It'll be the last time I see them until after Japan, apart from a couple of them who are coming over for my leaving party next weekend.  It's making Japan feel sooner too, how I'm starting to say good bye to family for over a year!  Talking of which, I go two weeks today.  Eeks.

James

No comments:

Post a Comment