Friday 25 November 2011

A Quiet Autumn Holiday

As I said in my previous post, I'm currently on my two-week Autumn holiday between the first and second term at ICU. I also said I was hoping to do lots of travelling around Tokyo and see some places I haven't been before.  Unfortunately, with my increasingly precarious financial situation (I'm already into my overdraft...) that's not really been possible at all. I'm going to have to live very frugally for the rest of the calendar year. The wages from my new job will come in during the second half of December, and I'm also waiting on the results of the JASSO scholarship which I recently applied for (80,000 yen a month, £670, which would be nice!), as well as applying for grant from Student Finance England. Even if I don't get the scholarship or qualify for the grant, with my wages from the babysitting job and the next instalment of my maintenance, I should be alright...things are just going to be a bit tight for a while!

So unfortunately my travel plans for this couple of weeks have had to be put on hold until the new year or Springtime. I've not really done anything noteworthy instead, besides rediscovering Age of Empires and The Sims! At least the virtual me has a good job and a nice income! 

A lot of friends I've made in ICU and in my guesthouse are only here for the Autumn term, and a lot of them have already left to go back to their various countries, which is pretty sad. Last night I had a final drink in Kichijoji with my American friend T.J.  In fact, as I write this, he'll be somewhere over the Pacific en route to North Carolina. A lot of other friends are leaving in the next couple of weeks; I just hope I have enough money for a last drink with all of them!

James

My first ever glimpse of Mt. Fuji

No comments:

Post a Comment